When you think about Laguna Beach, you envision sandy beaches, waves crashing along the ocean cliffs, basketball games at Main Beach and the old Pottery Shack. Yet, many visitors may be overlooking one of Laguna’s other jewels, Laguna Canyon.
Laguna Canyon connects Pacific Coast Highway to the 405 and 5 freeways, and is home to various businesses, residences, parks, native animals and activities. Some of the canyon’s highlights are:
1. Pacific Marine Mammal Center– a non-profit organization dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of marine mammals. Open to the public every day and free. An experience watching compassionate care for sea lions and seals.
2. Nix Nature Center and Laguna Wilderness Park– some of the last remaining coastal canyons in Southern CA. Hike 40 miles of trails through oak, willow and sycamore trees. Enjoy scenic vistas of the Pacific and rolling hilltops.
3. Laguna Canyon Winery- award-winning wines at this boutique family winery in the canyon with tasting rooms in downtown Laguna.
4. Laguna College of Art and Design- since 1961, this accredited college has displayed its students’ creativity by lining the entrance (parallel to the main road) with various sculptures. Tour the Ettinger Gallery and appreciate various art forms.
5. Laguna Beach Dog Park- established in the early 1990’s, dogs roam free exploring two acres of grassy park tucked into the canyon hillside. What a treat for Fido! Please note, Laguna Shores does not allow pets.
6. Sawdust Art Festival- this world famous festival began in 1966. Summer and winter festivals typically feature over 200 local artisans. View fine arts and crafts from hand-blown glass to photography.
Shake the sand from your flip-flops and explore Laguna Canyon. Book a suite with us and discover Laguna Beach’s treasure trove.